TTC: Trying To Conceive Terminology
When you’re trying to conceive, or TTC, you may find yourself reading up on the latest fertility blogs and forums. But, times have changed and many blogs and forums have developed their own lingo, abbreviating or creating acronyms for pregnancy, fertility, and infertility terms. You probably feel lost and confused while doing your research. To help make things easier, we’ve compiled a list of common terms and abbreviations used on forums like The Bump and Baby Center to keep you in the loop.
Download our full list of terms here:
– ART = Assisted Reproductive Technology
– AF = Aunt Flo — Menstruation
– Amenorrhea =This is the medical term for a missed menstrual cycle for more than three months in a row.
– BBT = Basal Body Temperature – A basal thermometer chart is a way to track temperature increases after the release of an egg, allowing you to know when you’ll be the most fertile.
– BD = Big Deed/Baby Dance — AKA sex
– BFN = Big Fat Negative – A negative result on a pregnancy test
– BFP = Big Fat Positive – A positive result on a pregnancy test
– CD = Cycle Day – The first day of your period
– CF = Cervical Fluid or CM for Cervical Mucus – Women can check their discharge to indicate ovulation periods. For example, when discharge changes from sticky and thick to thin and wet, that’s typically a sign you are ovulating.
– DE = Donor Eggs/Embryos – Donor eggs are taken from a fertile woman and transplanted into an infertile woman during an ART procedure.
– DPO = Days Post Ovulation
– EDD = Estimated Due Date
– ET = Embryo Transfer— After the IVF (In Vitro Fertilization) period, the embryo is transferred into the uterus.
– Endometrium = The endometrium is the mucus membrane that surrounds the uterus and gets thicker during a menstrual cycle. If a woman does not conceive, part of the endometrium will shed.
– FMU = First Morning Urine – Your first-morning urine is known to have the highest amounts of HCG (a hormone that is created during a woman’s pregnancy) and allows for pregnancy tests to detect pregnancy sooner and more accurately versus after your first-morning pee.
– Folic Acid = This vitamin is essential in pregnancy. Folic acid helps prevent babies from developing Spina Bifida and other issues during early development.
– ICI = Intracervical Insemination – Similar to intrauterine insemination(IUI), it involves placing sperm directly into the woman’s reproductive tract to improve the chances of pregnancy.
– Infertility = If a woman is under the age of 34, she and her partner are considered infertile if they haven’t conceived after having 12 months of unprotected sex. If over the age of 35, they’re considered infertile after six months of trying.
– IUI = Intrauterine Insemination – This is when sperm are placed directly into a woman’s uterus right around the time she is ovulating in the hopes of boosting her odds of conceiving.
– IVF = In Vitro Fertilization – This ART procedure involves removing eggs from a woman’s ovaries and fertilizing them outside her body in a laboratory setting. The resulting embryos are then transferred into the woman’s uterus through the cervix.
– MC = Miscarriage
– NTNP = Not Trying Not Preventing – This term is for couples who are not using a form of birth control to prevent pregnancy from happening.
– OV = Ovulation
– OB = Obstetrician
– OB/GYN = Obstetrician/Gynecologist
– OPK = Ovulation Predictor Kit
– PCOS = Polycystic Ovary Syndrome – A hormonal imbalance causing symptoms like overproduction of androgens (male hormones), irregular menstrual cycles, and/or an ultrasound demonstrating polycystic-appearing ovaries. This makes it more difficult to get pregnant.
– Progesterone = This is a hormone made by the ovaries. Progesterone levels may contribute to irregular periods. However, it is essential for the implantation of a fertilized egg and helps support pregnancy.
– RE = Reproductive Endocrinologist
– SA = Sperm/Semen Analysis
– TTC = Trying To Conceive
– TTCAL = Trying To Conceive After Loss
– TWW/2WW = Two Week Wait – This is the two-week waiting period after taking a pregnancy test.
– WTO = Waiting To Ovulate
We hope this list of terms helps you on your path to TTC. We have more articles you may find helpful about fertility and pregnancy. If you are having trouble getting pregnant and would like to speak with one of our doctors, contact us to make an appointment.