Painful intercourse, also called dyspareunia, affects more women about 20 percent of all American women. It can have medical or psychological causes – and is treatable. Yet pain during sex is a sign that there may be a problem and you should consult a doctor. At Walnut Hill Obstetrics and Gynecology Associates in Dallas, we can find a solution that is right for you.
A diagnostic evaluation including detailed history, exam and ultrasound will help identify the problem. Depending on our findings we may recommend treatments including topical and oral medications, hormone manipulation, dilator therapy or surgical repair
Thermiva Non-surgical Vaginal Rejuvenation
In some cases, we may recommend ThermiVa Vaginal Rejuvenation, a revolutionary, non-surgical procedure with the power to give women back control of their bodies. We are excited to provide Dallas-area women the option to rejuvenate their vaginal and labial area. Performed by our physicians, you can trust that this procedure is performed with the care and quality you have come to expect from Walnut Hill.
Causes of painful sex
Causes can range from vaginal dryness to more serious problems. Here are a few of those conditions and their symptoms that may need immediate attention:
Ulvodyniais a nervous system disorder famous for being difficult to identify. Often described as pain outside of the vaginal opening
- Allergies and rashes: Common allergies range from latex condoms to semen, and treatment will vary based upon what your allergy is to. Synthetic-rubber and lambskin condoms are a viable option if your allergy is to latex, and for semen allergies, more sex is the best cure.
- Vaginismus is caused by the muscles at the vaginal opening spasming closed.
- Sexually-transmitted diseases may also be an option
and can manifest in a variety of ways: warts, sores, redness, pain, painful urination, cloudy discharge, or even odor. If you are experiencing other symptoms, in addition to painful intercourse, you may need to talk to your doctor about being tested.
- Vaginal infections: These conditions are common and include yeast infections.
- Endometriosis: A painful disorder in which tissue that normally lines the inside of your uterus — the endometrium — grows outside your uterus.
A correct diagnosis is crucial to setting up a treatment plan and getting back in the bedroom. Call us at (214) 363-7801 today to make an appointment. To learn more about the problem, read Why Sex is Painful For Some Women.